Monday, August 22, 2011

My First Suicide

It took all this time but I am finally starting to unwind from all those years working on the front lines.  During my career I had 4 suicides and 4 murders.  My first suicide happened within a year of my first inpatient job.  My last suicide happened the last 9 months of my career.  Both of those were women.  The middle two were men who both killed their wives and one of them also killed his children.  My first two I was just a counselor/therapist.  The last two were when I was the boss.  Both females could have been prevented but the males could not be.  They gave no signals that they were going to pull the trigger.  Even though I was not the therapist working on the last two I was responsible for overseeing their care.  The last one was only 19. 
The first one happened in the UP of Michigan.  It was a 35 year old woman who had two daughters and a husband. I worked with the woman and her family during family therapy.  This was back in the late 70’s and the belief was at that time no psychotropic drugs if a person was an addict.  She had been abusing prescriptions and drinking.  Our medical director refused to let her have her anti-depressants and I knew she needed them.  Her depression was in the way of her being able to think clearly.  I was new at my profession so just went along with the doctor.  I could not have done anything else anyway.
This woman was pretty isolated in the UP.  Husband and kids went to town for school and the husband ran the hardware store in town.  She was a bright, well educated woman who had a degree but with her depression was unable to work for years.  She stayed in residential treatment for six weeks and then was sent home drug free.
A month later she called me.  I remember the conversation like it was yesterday.  She reassured me she was doing well and was grateful for my compassion and understanding her needs, etc.  We talked about the kids, her AA meetings she was attending and then it was time for me to go do my daily group therapy with my patients.  I thanked her for calling and asked her to keep in touch.
The next call came at about 4PM.  Her girls had got off the school bus and found her sitting in her rocking chair with half her head blown off.  Very traumatic for the family and me.  The medical director came into my office and reassured me that we made the right decision about her medication.  I went to the funeral which was against company policy.  The husband wanted to come and see me with the girls so I met with them afterhours so they could start to sort out their feelings.  We finally found a licensed therapist within an hour of their home and I referred them to her. 
The Medical Director was throwed off as you might say now a-days.  He seemed depressed himself and within a few months he quit his job and moved to Canada.  That was where he was from anyway.  I have always remained pretty throwed off  over it.  I hope the kids grew up well.  They would be in their mid 40’s now. 
I am still winding down from it….

4 comments:

  1. I cant even imagine doing what you did in that line of work but I do believe we are all connected in and to a rock and for me I know what that is. . anyways it was your calling to be there . Your a strong women or the Creator would not have put you where you were needed the most in your life. Im sure your impact on people to this day has not left them and the help and support was never taken lightly. This women I think had to connect with you one more time before she left as you helped her so much.
    xo
    Hugs Cherly

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Got here from Marge, by the way). It is entirely characteristic for suicides to make that one last upbeat call to those who matter to them. I think your take-away should be that you were in her heart. People don't call their enemies, I don't think - and they certainly don't call people who were unhelpful cyphers. I am told that once a person has made their decision to go (it can be days before the act), they often become quite serene and visibly asymptomatic; often the depression apparently lifts then. There was nothing, as you say, that you could have done without the power of the doctor to prescribe. We NEVER "know then what we know now", so don't re-think it in terms of critiquing yourself. That it still haunts you is a good sign that you are a very empathetic person who is good at what you do (or did) and probably this terrible event made you much better; who knows how many you saved?

    Anyway, I knew anyone Marge recommended would be a good writer and you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you David and Lisa for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW...I dislike Blogspot as I can't post comments when I want to. Not at your sites and even at my own I have to respond as anonymous...
    How frustrating!

    ReplyDelete